Construction was recently completed on the historic rehabilitation of the 1930’s Parrish Hotel, formerly known as Hotel Roberts, in Pratt, Kansas.
The hotel opened as the Hotel Roberts in 1930, and continued under that name until 1959, when it was purchased by Monte Parrish and renamed the Parrish Hotel. Seen as a potentially valuable asset for the community, the hotel was financed in part through a public subscription campaign, and constructed on land provided by the Chamber of Commerce. Architecturally, the building is significant as an early and sophisticated example of the Art Deco style in central Kansas.
The building, originally designed as an 8-story hotel, has been repurposed as a (23) unit apartment complex with high efficiency HVAC, lighting, appliances and high performance windows. Resident amenities include a furnished theatre room, fitness room and grand lobby/sitting area – all located on the 1st and 2nd floors with new elevator access to all floors.
Working with the Development Team, Design Team and Historic Consultants, much attention was paid in retaining and bringing back the iconic, historic character of the first floor lobby space and hallway circulation space on the upper floors.
“Upper floors were designed to utilize historic hallways while adding new apartments where the hotel rooms had been,” said Deb Sheals, Historic Consultant for the Parrish Hotel. “The architects carefully detailed existing window trim so that it could be replicated where it was too deteriorated to be restored.”
Prior to the recent renovation, the building sat vacant for over (20) years and was an easy target for vandalism and vagrant trespassing. This once glamorous hotel had become a nuisance to the city of Pratt and an eyesore on the community.
With strong City support, the rehabilitation was financed using Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits (KHRC) and Federal Historic Tax Credits for a final construction cost of $4.1 million.
The Parrish Hotel has aptly been described as “one of the city’s primary landmarks.” Although often praised for its status as one of the tallest structures in the community, it is also significant as a refined early example of the Art Deco style and tangible evidence of years of civic pride.