Preservation Crossing

The Old Hattiesburg High School was originally constructed in 1911 with an additional building constructed in 1921. It was used as a school until 1959. It was then listed as a MS Landmark in 1986 and reached a classified status on the National Registry in 1987. The building stopped being used as a school in 1959. Through the years the building has received heavy damage from Hurricane Katrina in 2005, extensive vandalism and arson in 2007.

After sitting vacant for several years, this historic landmark now has new life and purpose as an affordable housing facility containing 74 units. These units house residents who are 55 and older as well as those who qualify under the Mississippi Affirmative Olmstead Initiative. Construction commenced on the project in February of 2019 and construction was completed in late summer of 2020.

View Property Location

Print Friendly, PDF & Email